Saturday, March 21, 2015

Hiking, Backpacking and Mountaineering in the Sierras

I visited a site today which is an amazing mountain climbing experience.  

Through vivid photos it illustrates not just the joy of climbing these peaks, but illustrates various techniques of these sports, like training, conditioning, rope knots  and climbing safety measures on rock and snow.  

There is even an exciting video of an actual four-and-a-half mile glissade down one peak.

One discussion that particularly caught my attention was about the wilderness of the mind.

Dave French's site is mostly about climbs of Sierra peaks. I especially loved his detailed section on climbing Mt. Rainier in Washington's Cascades. It was one of my earliest climbs. When I climbed Rainier, Muir Camp was totally covered with snow.  Nice to see what it really looks like sans snow in Dave's photo.

His site is worth a peek. http://www.timberlinetrails.net  It'll whet the appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment