Saturday, April 4, 2015

Spiritual Question in the Wilderness

In mid-October I backpacked into the Wheeler Peak Wilderness, to Williams Lake, a favorite of hikers.  It rained off and on all day, which made for some lovely cloud formations hanging down into the crags, licking the lake, and swirling lazily upward through the trees.
            I was the only one camped in there.  I had to dodge in and out of my tent all afternoon to keep out of the periodic rains.  But it stopped raining enough for the full moonrise.  The moon peeked through gaps in the clouds, brightening the lake and the trees at tree-line.
            After a half-hour meditation, I sat on a log beside my tent watching the clouds playing with the craggy moonlit scene.
            I had an experience, which raised an interesting question. As I allowed my attention to flow out to all around me, I had the eerie feeling that I was not opening my awareness to it all; but that I was simply allowing myself to join the awareness that was already all around me, everywhere.  The awareness was out there already.  I was just opening up to it.
            So the question remains:  Is there awareness in everything in the universe, and we just ordinarily have a snippet of it?  Or, is it, as we commonly think, our individual consciousness that we open up to the world around us?
            At the time, it brought to mind lines from an Upanishad, which makes the case that, at our core, we are one with all things:
            The Self is one.  Unmoving, it moves faster than mind.  The senses lag, but Self runs ahead.  Unmoving, it outruns pursuit.  Out of Self comes the breath that is the life of all things.
            Unmoving, it moves; is far away, yet near; within all, outside all.
            Of a certainty the man who can see all creatures in himself, himself in all creatures, knows no sorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment