Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Backpacking Remembrances

I used to say I take a hike three times -- planning it, taking it, and unpacking after it.  All three times elicited the joy of the outdoors.  Today I've discovered a fourth – looking back on those great times I had in the backcountry over the years.
            We're under two feet of new snow here for over a week.  Since both my wife and I are retired, and our larder is full, we can enjoy being hunkered down in our cabin in the foothills of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, out here ten miles from town and a mile from a paved road.  We live in an enchanted forest of piñon pines and junipers.
            And yes, trudging knee deep in snow to take our dog for a walk is heavy going.  But I can't imagine anything I enjoy more than pushing on through the deep white.  The only sound is my boots crunching the snow.
            I am reminded of times I spent on trails while publishing Backpacker magazine.  Those were heady days. As founding editor of a magazine with a name like that I felt obligated to spend as much time as possible on the trails.  So my goal was at least a hundred days camped out on a trail, and more than that day hiking.
What a challenge, right?  But, as an avid lover of the outdoors, how could I not take advantage of owning such a magazine?  Wasn’t that a reason I launched it?
So, beginning with my next blog I am going to reminisce a bit about some of those delicious times I spent on the trail in winter.

2 comments:

  1. "We took our time, taking a week to backpack the few miles that, on another hike, I did the distance with but just one overnight on the trail.

    In hindsight, it seems those really trying excursions are always the best ones.

    ~Manfred

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's mainly why I get out there. There is an experience I have in the backcountry which is rare to have otherwise. I've just enjoyed being outside this afternoon in the early spring sunshine -- you might say 'watching the snow melt' in the 62-degree warmth -- that I have difficulty leaving. If you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete